You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

For any illness lasting longer than seven days you will need to see the doctor for him/her to issue a sickness certificate (F.med3) and for any subsequent renewal of the certificate. If your employer insists on a sickness certificate for 7 days or less a charge will be levied.

We can issue back dated sick notes if you are unable to come in on a particular day or appointments are limited.If you have only just come out of hospital but have a discharge note we can use that as evidence and provide you with cover.Please speak to one of the partners for advice if in doubt we will normally answer your calls at the end of morning surgery.

Certificates for insurance companies can be provided but there is usually a charge.We would recommend you make an appointment to see us if the certificate is long or complicated.

Exclusion From School

Chicken pox, Rubella, Measles - Five days from onset of rash

Whooping Cough and Scarlet Fever - Five days from starting antibiotics

Impetigo - Until lesions are healed or crusted


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website